Wednesday, October 20, 2010

On being an entrepreneur, or not getting paid (at least not today)

Remember Mischel's "marshmallow" study on delayed gratification? The one where kids were given a marshmallow and told that if they did not eat the treat, then they could have an even better reward later? The kids who could control their impulse to eat the marshmallow were "more successful" because they could delay short-term gains for longer-term, supposedly larger gains.

I've been an entrepreneur for years now, and most days I love it.  I tell people, "I start companies. It's great! I haven't been paid in two years!".  On bad days I think I should have just eaten the darn marshmallow and then gone back to a real job.

But today is a good day. About two months ago I became involved in starting a new magazine on North Carolina food, wine, travel, and decor with a really fun and talented team of industry pros. My title is "The Business Fairy"....how much fun is that!

Our Savor NC new magazine subscription link is working, so if you want to get a real close look at my latest project, please subscribe....the first issue will be out in about 6 weeks. We're running a buy-two-get-one free package just in case you want to give subscriptions as holiday gifts.

1 comment: