Sunday, October 24, 2010

Carolina Balloonfest

At 7:20 this morning, Hubby gently kissed me and told me that he was taking the boys to the Carolina Ballonfest. "Wait!" I sprang to life.  "Please give me 5 minutes and I'll come, too!" 
We drove to Statesville,NC, about 40 miles to the west, and entered the festival. We had arrived during the target contest. The balloons came in a line over a ridge and then reduced altitude to throw a bag at a target. When one hit the target, the crowd went wild.  You see, hot air balloon pilots can only control altitude--other than that, they are at the mercy of the wind.
We wish we could have stayed all day for the "mass ascension" (doesn't that sound rather judgement-dayish?) scheduled for 4:30-5:30pm today, but the yard work was calling, so we came home to mow, rake, trim perennials (more!), and move mulch. What a glorious October day to be outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment